Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Things I make when my husband goes out of town...yup, he's gonna be jealous.

So, when my husband goes out of town, I veer between a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and items that I definitely know he doesn't like. I tend to bring out the big guns when he is gone, much to his displeasure.
I have a great fish store in town, that I buy a whole slab of salmon, (just for myself) and he cuts off the bottom and slices into five or six pieces for me. Most I freeze for either when my husband goes out of town or for when I have company that enjoys salmon like I do.
 Many years ago I visited a wonderful restaurant in Grand Rapids, MI.  http://www.amwaygrand.com/cygnus27.html
It is called Cygnus 27 inside the Amway Plaza. They had a wonderful salmon in a puff pastry, that 6 years ago, I still think about.
I have to pat myself on the back with this recipe I found/made this evening.
I started with a pretty large filet of salmon, about 8 oz. I would suggest cutting it in half. I made a wonderful topping of walnuts, oil, garlic, salt and pepper, lime juice and parmesan cheese. I have a small food processor that I blended all these ingredients. I placed atop the salmon.
I then made a single crust pie recipe. Here is the recipe below. I then placed the salmon atop the pie crust and  folded to completely cover the salmon.
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pies/pastry-for-single-crust-pie/

I baked the salmon for 30 minutes at 375. It took longer since it was such a large piece of salmon. I paired it with a Bearnaise sauce and a side salad. Here is the wonderful finished product:


Now, if this just makes you all think I always have fancy food, please think again after you see this photo of the wonderful Halloween cake the girls and I made. My daughter Grace, definitely knows how to sell a cake.

 That's how my girls roll with cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment